Navigation

EN Sprachnavigation EN Alt+1 EN Servicenavigation EN Alt+2 EN Bereichsnavigation EN Alt+3 Content Alt+4 Search Alt+5

EN Sprachnavigation EN

EN Servicenavigation EN

 
 
Graubuenden

THE BUILDER LURINTG MARIA CARISCH

The house of the Sisters of Menzingen was built in 1867 by Lurintg Maria Carisch. Carisch was born in 1821; the fourth child of a peasant family, he had no choice but to emigrate: In Paris he acquired reputation and wealth. At the age of 44 he returned to Riom a millionaire – with the ardent wish to build a house and spend the remainder of his days as a farmer. However, before he started the construction of stables and residence, he built a mill, a sawmill and a barn. This way, he was able to provide the resources necessary for the construction himself. Lurintg Carisch died in 1898; his offspring remained childless. In 1930, the entire compound was sold to the Sisters of Menzingen. The monastic community used the house as a holiday residence and preserved the whole property in its orignial character.